Cragdarroch is a fine example of a large detached stone built Victorian period house with most of the accommodation over two storeys along with a castle style turreted third storey with permanently fitted flag pole and access out to a roof terrace. The turret is currently utilised as a home office and separate library, however, these could be utilised as two well-proportioned bedrooms if desired.
The property sits within well-stocked mature ornamental gardens of circa 1.5 acres. At the rear of the property, there is a large two storey former coach house of stone and slate construction comprising of a former wash house, carriage house and stabling at ground floor level with former servants’ accommodation and hay loft at first floor level. In addition, there is a stone, lean-to style store attached to the east elevation of the coach house, the coach house being linked to the main building by a substantial stone and slate store. This area has immense scope for redevelopment into further accommodation for the property or would make a fantastic area to run your own business from home. This versatile space would be ideal as a studio or be potentially useful as holiday rental accommodation.
The home has majestic views across Loch Long and to the mountains in the distance making it truly a home with fine water views of the Firth of Clyde.
The original dwelling house is estimated to date from 1860 or thereby having been substantially extended circa 1879.
Ground floor accommodation:
Cloakroom with separate WC
Gym with separate store room
Further downstairs WC
Further store room
First floor accommodation:
Master bedroom suite with ensuite and walk-in wardrobe
Five further well-proportioned bedrooms
Large linen store
Second floor accommodation:
Access to roof terrace
Coach House Ground Floor:
Coach House First Floor:
The property is situated within the village of Cove, within an established residential area developed predominantly with substantial detached house types, enjoying attractive outlooks to the south west over the Firth of Clyde. The property is conveniently located for a limited range of local facilities available in Cove and Kilcreggan village centres, with a large array of amenities in nearby Helensburgh which is circa 15 minutes away.
Helensburgh is served by three railway stations, Helensburgh Upper on the West Highland Line, Craigendoran, on the North Clyde Line and Helensburgh Central, the terminus of the North Clyde Line. It takes 50 minutes to reach the shops and offices of Glasgow City Centre and another 50 minutes to Edinburgh and the East Coast.
The seafront has an indoor swimming pool, an esplanade walk, a range of shops, cafes and pubs as well as sailing facilities including a marina in Rhu. The streets are built on a gentle slope rising to the north east, and at the brow of the hill a golf club has views looking south out over the town where numerous other sports are active including football, rugby, cricket, athletics, netball, hockey, curling, bowling, sailing and fishing.
The locality is well served by a number of excellent state primary schools providing the high attainment secondary school, Hermitage Academy, with an annual influx of children eager to learn about well-known townspeople such as John Logie Baird, the inventor of television; Henry Bell, who built the first passenger steamship ‘The Comet’ ; architect William Leiper ; actress Deborah Kerr ; poet WH Auden ; writer AJ Cronin ; and Prime Minister Bonar Law amongst many others. Lomond School, an independent, co-educational and boarding school also offers private education in central Helensburgh.
Sat Nav - Cragdarroch, Shore Road, Cove, G84 0NU